28 hours (usually 4 days including breaks)
- The participant must have built a kernel at least once for a traditional desktop (non-embedded) Linux system.
- Knows what components the Linux userspace on a desktop system is composed of.
- Knows how to generate and use patches.
- Must be able to explain what is GNU Make, Autotools, what other build systems exist.
- Ideally, maintains at least one Linux package, either as an upstream author, or in any traditional Linux desktop distribution.
- Prior experience with embedded development is not required, and is not a substitute for the knowledge about traditional Linux desktops specified above.
- System engineers
- Test engineers
- System administrators
The Yocto Project is an open-source project for building embedded Linux systems. It uses a build host based on OpenEmbedded (OE), which uses the BitBake tool, to construct complete Linux images
In this instructor-led, live training, participants will learn how to create a build system for embedded Linux based on Yocto Project.
By the end of this training, participants will be able to:
- Understand the fundamental concepts behind a Yocto Project build system, including recipes, metadata, and layers.
- Build a Linux image and run it under emulation.
- Save time and energy building embedded Linux systems.
Format of the course
- Part lecture, part discussion, exercises and heavy hands-on practice
- Buildroot is a simpler alternative to the Yocto project
- To request a customized training for this course, please contact us to arrange.
Overview of an embedded Linux system architecture
Overview of Pocky and bitbake
Preparing your development environment
Preparing your target development board and toolkits
Understanding the Yocto Project source tree
Building an image
Using the Toaster web interface to initiate builds
Adding packages to the generated image
Understanding Board Support Packages (BSPs), recipes, configurations and layers
Writing a recipe
Overview of some existing build systems - Autotools, CMake, Meson
Building, configuring and adding a custom application
Troubleshooting build failures
Fixing common cross-compilation issues
Customizing the build with layers
Extending existing recipes
Writing a custom machine configuration
Adding and managing runtime packages
Adding a custom image
Creating a custom image
Using the Yocto Project SDK
Develop an application using the Poky SDK
The Application Development Toolkit
2021-04-05 2021-04-08Luxembourg, Place de la Gare
I really enjoy having a virtual PC online, I can do exercises whenever I want
Dongfu Li - Northforge Innovations Inc
Trainer's Subject Knowledge
Northforge Innovations Inc
Oleg Polyakov - Northforge Innovations Inc
learnt some development tools and debug tools which can be used in my work.
Northforge Innovations Inc
The deep knowledge of the trainer Robert about the topics (Yocto Project, embedded systems, etc.). He's able to answer virtually any quastion you ask him about these topics and he has a really deep background.
I generally was benefit from the practical exercises.
Ismael Martinez - ESML SD IBERIA HOLDING S.A.